Thursday, May 8, 2008

You're breaking my balls, humanity





I found these two little videos very interesting, so I thought I would share them with you.

Jay Leno, in my opinion, is one of the very few personalities that is both intelligent and capable of being on American television (I respect John Stuart too, but he's just too political for me). Oh, and Leno has a cool garage too - hehe.

Anyway, the first video brings up an interesting point - the death of the electric car. Much like the diesel engine that is more fuel efficient, reliable, and clean than our everyday unleaded fuel engines, the electric engine never reached the masses. Why? Because it was too feminine (says Leno). The diesel engine reached the masses but did not have the success of the other. Why? Perhaps it was too loud. Either way, from a technological stand point, it should have succeeded. This brings me to my first point. It is probable that many inventions and scientific discoveries are in our possession and are not being used purely for marketing reasons.

Today, the fuel companies and the US are investing more money into ethanol than any other alternative fuel source. Why? Because it would allow the fuel companies to keep their infrastructure of fuel dispensation and it would allow America to produce its own fuel and thusly their (both, the US, and the corporations') grip on the world. This is a bit of an issue. I believe that the future lies in electric vehicles (granted, it would be a much more drastic change in our infrastructure). Hydrogen cars (fuel cell cars) or battery-powered electric cars both create zero emissions and run on renewable resources. And, most importantly would push the world to invest more money into fusion (because of the rising need in electricity). Also, electric vehicles, especially the battery powered cars, require virtually no up-keep and could potentially be refueled at home (for hydrogen, we'll have to wait).

Long story short - economics get in the way of a speedy technological evolution.

This leads me the main point.

I have always advocated that free market economics paired with improved communications (globalization) was the fastest and most efficient way to evolve socially. Although, this theory is currently leading us in the right direction (the green movement), we may not be moving fast enough. What that theory does not account for, is the speed at which social awareness advances and the sample size - it has a statistical base after all. So far, it seems that, as masses, we have been thinking in unity and our social herd-psychology pushes us to react adequately - however, I don't think that this is necessarily enough since in the end, those who make decision and control the masses aren't a large enough sample to create a "free market psychological approximation".

Explanation: By "free market psychological approximation", I mean that our human psyche can be approximated and trends can be clearly seen in the evolution of the markets. What this entails is that whenever there is a world issue large enough to affect the bulk of the population, humans will adapt in a way so as to fix the problem - a sort of bee-hive approximation. As a crude example, we can take ecology; sixty years ago, when pollution was unseen, it was also unheard of; today, when we can see a disgusting cloud of grayish brown enveloping the Greater Los Angeles area and taste chemicals in spring water, we can't help but be brought aware of an issue and our instincts tell us all (as a mass - and for the most part) to make a change. And so, we begin to change, and this can be observed in our world economical trends (growing ecological markets, Whole Foods, etc... ).

5 comments:

Substance said...

I enjoyed the videos!

Yes, it is extremely frustrating. So frustrating actually, that I am sure it has led many talented scientists to despair, depression and suicide. There are loads of smart people out there, but they have absolutely no room to maneuver.

There has simply been an nauseating amount of wasted potential.

I am not even sure it's economics that get in the way. Quite the contrary. Technological innovations create tons of economic opportunities and even if a major transition can slow the economy down for infrastructural reasons at first, it will give it a huge boost in the long term. Amazing ideas usually work.

The reasons for the unhealthy status quo are mainly geopolitical in my opinion. Serving the interests of a few who want to preserve their influence... Also, the public does not really understand what is going on, are obsessed about their "concrete" daily life matters and concerns (why didn't my GF send me an SMS?) or do not realize what they can do to change the situation.

The free market psychological approximation is unfortunately too weak to be a factor almost all the time. The smog and the chemical taste in spring water have been there for decades. Ecologist whistle blowers too. Same thing for freakish genetic mutations because of radioactive radiation or exposure to toxics. Sure, the issue has gone public, attitudes are changing, but I do not think it was because the crisis was strongly affecting the bulk of the population's lives.

When the destructive "force" is too strong to conceal, it is still accepted by the masses.

Why? Because it usually affects people with little education or influence. A crisis would have to utterly to give no place to hide to EVERYBODY and show IMMEDIATE and HORRIBLE effects (not long term or that can therefore be attributed to other factors) for it to shake us.

Now just to break your balls a little more: plug-in hybrid electric vehicles.

Not only can cars be charged at home, they can be charged by a solar panel in any equipped garage or parking lot. You can have enough energy to not only power your car, but you can use the car as a source of energy to power your home or the grid!!!

Don't believe me? Check this out:
http://www.wordpress.peakmoment.tv/conversations/?p=142
http://phev.ucdavis.edu/publications

Nice post.

Tim said...

I must suck at expressing myself - probably why I never got anything above a C+ in my writing classes. Everything (and I mean everything) I agree with or meant to say in another way. There's just too much to reiterate, so I'll just leave it at this.

Tim said...

Second thought... After eating taco bell (yet again) I realized i need to respond.

I. Economics don't get in the way - per say. The purpose of the post was to state that there is a possibility for the market to slow down the production of very good ideas - slow them down so much, that they never have the chance to appear or fully evolve (i.e. diesel engine).

2. People react in masses to large-scale stimuli (i.e. Al gore's movie and all the other people trying to save the world).
This is the way it works:
1. Issue surfaces somewhere
2. It is brought to attention to a tiny minority of people (generally scientists)
3. They bring it to the public - public does not react
4. After a certain percentage of the public is affected, some of the public (the affected part) begins to spread their ideas to others thus beginning to convince the idealistic people.
5. Idealistic people realize the problem because they know obviously that something is going wrong (since someone close is affected)
6. Those who follow the crowd realize the problem and... follow the crowd.
7. ONLY THEN does the economy really adapt.
By this time, the situation may evolve drastically.

II. I know about plug in hybrids and I know about plug in electrics (that's what makes it great - I had even written a sentence about it, but decided to omit it). The battery technology for electric cars was not available a mere 8 years ago and the very same fuel companies are investing huge amounts of money into other sources thus shifting the public (and media's) interest.

well... I think that more or less covers it...

Substance said...

:)

that's very clear. I admit not having read carefully parts of your post. I guess I made the, alas, too common mistake of wanting to expose some of my views before letting all the nuances of your presentation seep in.

From step 5 to step 6, I assume the 'idealistic people' have to be influential enough in terms of position, popularity or coolness to create the necessary marketing value for the media to expose the 'herd' to their views?

Tim said...

You know what, I'm not quite sure... I don't even know where exactly I stand in this lineup... where down the line do you think you stand?