Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The capitalist is still alive: A ray of light in an otherwise gloomy dimension



Yes, I am aware that I was the one advocating the creation of this blog more than anyone and aside from my single “mysterious comment” (Daniel), I’ve been absent. Well, here is a post that should satisfy you and explain why I was and will be absent for a tad longer (- a sign of life one might call it).

It took two and a half years of tumultuous personality fluctuations and complete abandonment of all aspects of life taken for granted for me to come to terms with myself and gain the slightest idea of that which nourishes and sustains my self. It turned out that I simply sought freedom. In our human world, the many degrees of freedom that I seek are very difficult to obtain. Virtually every person surrounding us and every instinct within ourselves tells us to follow a path that secures our survival before our happiness. A great many even find themselves claustrophobically wedged in an unhappy lifestyle, marriage or job. On another side, many others simply lose control and abandon all civilization to live in an internal world of utter delirium. It is in my opinion that freedom requires immense amounts of self-control, knowledge and sacrifices.

Today, I am building a business for I believe it is the pathway to gain an important freedom – financial independence and power within society. This task, specifically, is (currently) requiring me to sacrifice my interest in intelligent ideas and intelligent debate.

– I must and it is an inevitable consequence of one of the first stages of my plan to become consumed with the business.

I hope that my lack of reading has not, yet again, hindered my ability to express myself.

4 comments:

"alex" said...

oh my god! tim can write, who knew? ;) and what's more remarkably well!

"alex" said...

oh, yeah and dude you're not limited to intelligent posts (look at my posts - 1 good post and the others are rubbish). write about stuff that's happening in your life for instance...whatever you want. i could write about the fact that someone stole your bike saddle for instance :) (yeah, i meant to tell you about it at some point :) ), or, that i was approached by a sect to become a "beau jardin",lol.

but, if you think you're too important to write us then there's no point trying to make up excuses [sniff!]

;)

Tim said...

Too important to write? The reason I didn't write is because I believe that you deserve quality. An about writing crap... I can keep you up to date with the shit that happens to me, except it's too much of a contrast...

Substance said...

Yes! the man can write.

"Virtually every person surrounding us and every instinct within ourselves tells us to follow a path that secures our survival before our happiness. A great many even find themselves [...]"

5 stars.

For Abraham Maslow, survival indeed comes before "self-realization" which is the highest section of the pyramid of motivation.

I have trouble accepting that self-realization becomes a universal longing once the other four steps - physiology, security, belonging and esteem - have been secured.

In my opinion the actualization of self in relation with the hierarchy of needs is:

Either
A weak affect, which manifests itself jointly with the sense of belonging for some and esteem for others.
Those would be your "virtually everybody surrounding us". Belonging in a community or feeling appreciated by others make them feel realized. Self-actualization is not a distinct need.

Or
A separate instinct within ourselves - this is where I might disagree with you - which is as vitally strong or stronger than survival once the physiology step has been cleared. Some people cannot live feeling that they are being pulled away from their goal of reaching happiness through the realization of self.

A caricature would be either guardians/artisans or idealists/rationals. :)

Good luck dude on your quest for freedom! You will triumph in the face of adversity, no matter how hard it will be or how long it will take!