Sunday, January 4, 2009

Баба-Яга

Baba Yaga.

Old hag found in Slavic lore, flying around on a birch broom with her mortar using the giant pestle as a rudder. She lives deep in the forest in a house resting on giant chicken legs with all kinds of odd and frightful features and occupants.

Baba Yaga is very wise and a precious source of guidance. To seek her out however, is to expose oneself to great risk for she is known to have a wicked streak, eating children and killing visitors.

A story of three young adults visiting Baba Yaga deep in the forest.

"When the first young seeker comes quaking up to the door of her hut, Baba Yaga demands, "Are you on your own errand or are you sent by another?" The young man, encouraged in his quest by his family, answers, "I am sent by my father." Baba Yaga promptly throws him into the pot and cooks him.

The next to attempt this quest, a young woman, sees the smoldering fire and hears the cackle of Baba Yaga. Baba Yaga again demands, "Are you on your own errand or are you sent by another?" This young woman has been pulled to the woods alone to seek what she can find there. "I am on my own errand," she replies. Baba Yaga throws her in the pot and cooks her too.

Later a third visitor, again a young woman, deeply confused by the world, comes to Baba Yaga's house far into the forest. She sees the smoke and knows it is dangerous. Baba Yaga confronts her, "Are you on your own errand, or are you sent by another?" This young woman answers truthfully. "In large part I'm on my own errand, but in large part I also come because of others. And in large part I have come because you are here, and because of the forest, and something I have forgotten, and in large part I know not why I come." Baba Yaga regards her for a moment and says, "You'll do," and shows her into the hut."


-As told by Jack Kornfield