Thursday, January 28, 2010

Still, like a tree

Whenever I intend to move (my limbs)
Or if I wish to speak,
I will first examine my mind.
Thus, ‘the stable one’ acts in the proper way.

Whenever my mind becomes attached
Or whenever I want to be angry,
I will not engage in (any) action nor will I say anything,
But will remain (still), like a tree.

Whenever I am wild or mocking,
Filled with pride or self-infatuation;
When I have the intention to expose the faults of others,
Cause dissension or have the thought to deceive others;

Whenever I am inclined to praise myself
Or when I disparage others,
Insult others or cause a quarrel:
At such times I will remain (still), like a tree.

Whenever I desire (material) gain, respect or fame;
Whenever I intend to seek an entourage of servants,
And when in my mind I desire (personal) service:
At such times I will remain (still), like a tree.

Whenever I desire to give up (working for) the benefit of others
And desire to pursue my personal welfare,
And when a thought of wishing to speak arises,
At such times I will remain (still), like a tree.

Whenever (I am) impatient, lazy and fearful,
Likewise when (I am) boastful or when (I talk) nonsense;
When thoughts of attachment to my own group arise,
At such times I will remain (still), like a tree.

Having in this way examined (whether or not) thought of afflictions
Or of pursuing what is meaningless (have arisen),
The hero will at such times hold steady this (mind of his)
By (applying) the (respective) antidote.

(Being) very certain and highly devoted,
Firm, respectful and polite;
Possessing a sense of shame, (being) apprehensive and peaceful,
I should strive to delight others.

Shantideva - Bodhisattvacaryāvatāra Chapter 5

From this place of stillness, forgive the negative thoughts, practice acceptance and practice compassion : beings everywhere suffer from these thoughts and situations, may we all be free from such suffering, may the suffering I experience - and witness, still as a tree - help liberate all beings.

No comments: